Saturday, September 29, 2007

Get A Life!

Tonight, the fan bases at schools such as Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, and West Virginia are in meltdown mode following upset losses.

I love college football. I spend too much time watching and analyzing it. However, there are more important things in life.

There are way too many people out there that place their entire self-worth and identity in their teams, whether it is a college or professional football team. It is really silly to wrap one's identity in what a group of 18 to 22 year olds do on a football field. Here is an example of this type of reaction, from a post tonight on OUInsider.com:

If I needed the money for the tickets I wouldn't have bought them. If I have a family member that wants them I'll let them have my tickets but I'm not going to support them until we get a BCS bowl win. I'll tell someone where my seats are vacant and you can stretch out on them and sleep for all I care. I left in 2005 for an RV trip with them and I'm heading out again. Surely this loss isn't a surprise to anyone the way OU has been the past 3 years? Go to the post picking OU's lost games this year. I said 3 lost games this year and I got it right the past two years with 3 last year and 4 the year before. This isn't rocket science, Stoops can't coach a team picked to win every game. He does well with underdogs. After that he's a big game loser. I'm not an OU fan near as much as I am a State of Oklahoma fan. Lately OU has been more of an embarrasment to our state rather than an asset! The only thing I hate as bad as a Texas fan is a Crimson blind OU fan. They are far more dangerous to OU than UT ever will be.

Excuse me, but embarrassment to your state? And ultimately, yourself? In the words of Mike Gundy: "They're good kids. They go to class. They're respectful to the press." etc. Yes, it's bad to lose a game you shouldn't lose, especially when your team had it won. However, it's nothing to be personally embarrassed about.

For a lot of people, it's National Championship or Bust. A 10 win season and a conference championship just isn't good enough. People tolerate a whole lot of mediocrity and spareness in their own personal lives, but don't tolerate so much as an offsides penalty from their football team.

Folks, football is a ton of fun to follow. But, at the end of the day, it's a game. It's only a game. For most of us, it's not our livelihood.

Get a life!

6 comments:

Zee said...

I think someone needs some prozac. OU has been kicking butt and taking names and they get one loss and this guy is ready to slit his wrists because they are such a disgrace? Colorado had a good day. So what?

John said...

Actually, it was a woman that said that, but that doesn't make any difference in this case.

OU has played football for 112 years. They have seven national championships. According to this line of thinking, the Sooners have sucked for 105 years of their existence.

I'll blast my own people for a minute. Some OU fans can be worse than Cowboy fans. They're truly "National Championship or Bust". We have people that get mad when a 40 point blowout isn't 60.

Kristy said...

If you say it doesn't really matter enough, you might believe it? LOL

John said...

There is a difference between being upset over a loss and believing it's an embarrassment to your state.

Zee said...

It's funny how that kind of attitude is more of an embarrassment to your state then ONE of your universities loses a game.

John said...

That's the sad part. A narrow loss to Colorado is not an embarrassment to a state. A comment like that lady made is an embarrassment.