Monday, September 24, 2007

Flying Off The Handle In Stillwater



This is a story and video that just won't die. It's over 48 hours old, and is still worth a comment.

The Oklahoma State Cowboys took a huge step in rescuing their season by beating Texas Tech in a barnburner, 49-45. One would think that OSU coach Mike Gundy would be happy. Not in this video.

Gundy took exception to an article written by Daily Oklahoman columnist Jenni Carlson in that morning's paper. She gave an account of the benching of once highly touted QB Bobby Reid. Gundy went ballistic in this video, and used the article to attack the columnist.

I've followed Mike Gundy's career since high school. He grew up and starred about 30 miles away from me. As my dad would say, we went to different schools together. He went on to become OSU's all-time leading passer. His brother, Cale, played at Oklahoma and is now running backs coach for the Sooners. I don't know them personally, but I'm sure we know some of the same people, as Oklahoma is not a big state. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of Oklahoma State, a/k/a the Oklahoma Aggies. I find this tirade somewhat amusing, but also somewhat sad. It's really uncalled for.

On the other hand, I read the Oklahoman online just about every day. I make it a point to skip Jenni Carlson's column. It is usually a waste of time for me and most other Sooner fans. As a result of this imbroglio, she will probably be working for another newspaper within the next year.

Mike Gundy has a right to disagree with what was written. He did the right thing to take up for his player. However, he had no right to publicly dress a columnist down in front of 30 or so of her peers. That was low-class and highly unprofessional. This tirade is an embarrassment to Oklahoma State University, known by some of my fellow Sooner fans as Payne County Tractor College.

Nothing good comes in orange. Nothing.

8 comments:

Zee said...

Stop hatin' on the orange, first of all.

I'm not a fan of yelling, but if he didn't have this tirade, would this article's author be in trouble? Did this focus the attention on the author? I was rather shocked at the sparse applause at the end also.

John said...

Publicly, the editor and the paper are standing by their columnist. Privately, I'm sure she's getting her resume ready. The way the newspaper business works, she is probably now viewed as a martyr and will get a gig in a bigger market. That's too bad, because she's not that good.

The part about him being fed chicken by his mother was not relevant to the story. I thought parts of the story were ok and parts were questionable.

However, Gundy was way out of line for going off on her like that. He could have just as easily confronted her privately. I doubt if he would have done that to a male reporter in front of his peers. Actually, if he had done that to a female coworker, he would be turned in for harassment.

Mike Gundy made Sportscenter last night. He's the laughing stock of America.

It would be good entertainment if OSU and Colorado played in the Big 12 championship game. Mike "I'm A Man!" Gundy vs. Dan "It's The Big 12! It's Not Intramurals!" Hawkins. LOL

From what I have heard, the applause in the room came from some OSU boosters. I'd be shocked if it were members of the press. Press members aren't allowed to cheer in the press box, much less in the press room.

Kristy said...

Hmmmm.....if Bob Stoops went off on the same tirade, something tells me this post would be slanted in a completely opposite direction. LOL Love you honey!

John said...

That's the difference between Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy. Bob Stoops detests the media. But, he's not going to make a scene out of a press conference.

Zee said...

Well, it sounds like the columnist is standing her ground and wrote something today. The fact that Gundy won't say what was inaccurate seems to say to me that 3/4 thing is off. Also, again, I think he was wrong for going off on her at a press conference. That is just wrong. I feel bad for the kids who played well for him and won that game against a tought TT team!

John said...

This tirade not only took away from a big win for his program, but it also overshadowed an interesting press conference by Tech coach Mike Leach. Leach said some quotable stuff about his defense, and dropped an f-bomb. The next day, he fired his defensive coordinator.

The interesting thing about Gundy's explosion: he did not use any profanity.

Polls around the country are tilted heavily in Gundy's favor. Rush Limbaugh took up for him yesterday in a big way, because Gundy took on the "drive-by media", and that a lot of people would love to do the same thing. I totally understand his point.

The article serves a good purpose as birdcage liner. However, Gundy's tirade is unacceptable. He embarrassed himself and OSU in a big way.

Zee said...

Both are, at least, someway in the wrong. Rush can take up for anyone, but he ain't always right either.

I think the thing that hits me about what Gundy did was going off on a woman by yelling like that. Anytime I see a guy yell like that to a woman (or when I've been yelled at like that by a guy) it seems that it is something they would not have done to another guy and it's like a mini-power trip that just makes me think he's really weak and insecure.

John said...

Rush isn't always right?

I've also been struck by the way he yelled at her. A man should never talk to a woman like that, whether it is in a professional or in a personal relationship.

The column was a pile of doggie dung. The reaction was even worse.