Saturday, August 04, 2007

Are You Ready For Some Football??


Sunday night, the NFL season officially begins. The Hall of Fame Game, in Canton, Ohio, features the New Orleans Saints and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The starters for both teams will probably play only one series, and no more than a quarter in this game. The majority of the game will consist of rookies and free agents trying to win spots on the team. As Greg Williams of The Ticket in Dallas would say, a lot of these guys will be working at Home Depot next week. Still, it's nice to see America's Game back in action.

I would normally be excited about this game, as it is the first real game of the season. However, it is being televised on the NFL Network, and thus is not on my cable. So, most of the country will not have access to the game. I'll wait until Thursday for my football fix, when the Colts visit Irving to play the Cowboys on Fox.

Welcome back, NFL.

6 comments:

Zee said...

Pre-season play means nothing! NOTHING! ;) I do have tickets to the pre-season game on the 18th v. the Broncos. Here's the view I'll have http://www.seatdata.com/images/nfl_cowboys/170x128/127.jpg.

I so wish Jake the Snake was still playing for the Broncs. That would have been so much fun! I only have Jason Elam to cheer for now ... if he sees any playing time.

John said...

The only thing pre-season play is good for: live action between opposing teams.

The worst thing about pre-season play: NFL owners charge full price for pre-season games, and roll them into season ticket packages.

I hate the Broncos. There were a bunch of people in college from CO, so they rubbed everyone the wrong way. Plus, my brother likes them, and still thinks John Elway hung the moon.

Zee said...

Well, that week they're playing the Cowboys, so I like 'em! ;) lol

My brother won the tickets for free, but can't come out for the game so I have to find someone to go with me! They are on the 50 yard line, but not in the bottom section ...

John said...

The best kind of tickets are the ones that are free.

I was curious how the ringleader of the Anti-Cowboy Faction would be inside that sweatbox known as Texas Stadium for a pre-season game. :-)

Zee said...

The ACF has never been to a NFL game. Also, it's going to be cool to see that stinky stadium before they turn it into a strip mall.

I've driven by while they've been playing, but never in. In fact, I've driven by a Bengals game a few times too, on my way north.

John said...

I've only been to two live NFL games there. Luckily, they were both in November, so the weather wasn't as hot in there.

Years ago, pre-Jerry, the Cowboys put more luxury boxes at the top of the stadium where there were previously openings in the side of the building. This cut off a lot of air circulation. Thus, it's a sea of heat and humidity in August and September.

Texas Stadium was so state-of-the-art in 1971. But, it is past its prime and ready to be put out to pasture.