Friday, January 19, 2007

NFL Picks-Conference Championship Week

Last Week: 2-2 Playoffs: 6-2

This is the best football weekend of the year. Last week’s divisional round was great, the Super Bowl is the Super Bowl, but most of the fun is in getting to the NFL’s big party. The better games are usually in this round of the playoffs. This year’s round of four find themselves on a 180-mile stretch of Midwest interstate between Indianapolis and Chicago.

I would love to see an Archie Manning Super Bowl. Archie’s long-time team, the formerly sad-sack Saints, versus son Peyton’s team, the Indianapolis Colts. That would be an awesome Super Bowl. I don’t know if it’s going to shake out like that. I’d love it if it did.

NFC Championship Game: New Orleans at Chicago
It’s the World vs. Chicago. How can any non-Bears fan not be for the Saints? This is a team that had won one playoff game in 40 years before last week. This is also a team that was forced out of its city last season due to a killer storm, and lived out of a hotel in San Antonio while playing home games in San Antonio and Baton Rouge. The city of New Orleans is far from rebuilt, but they are rallying around the no longer sad-sack Saints. They have been blessed by free agency (Drew Brees), sorry drafting (the Texans’ pass on Reggie Bush), good drafting (Marques Colston in the 7th round), and health (Deuce McAllister).

The Bears, meanwhile, have the best record in the mediocre NFC. They have a solid but injury-plagued defense, and an inconsistent offense. Rex Grossman has admitted to not being prepared for every game, but I guarantee he will, at minimum, be ready to play. Plus, this game is in Chicago. The Bears earned that.

I’m afraid that things are just lining up for the Bears. The Saints are more than good enough to beat the Bears. However, my gut says that this is the Bears’ year, at least to get to the Super Bowl. As much as it pains me to see the Saints lose here, I’m afraid that’s going to happen. Pick: The Pride and Joy of Illinois

AFC Championship Game: New England at Indianapolis
The Patriots were the beneficiaries of a San Diego meltdown last week. However, that’s what the Pats do: take what the other team will give them. This is a great coaching job by the mad scientist, Bill Belichick. This really is Tom Brady and a bunch of guys out there. Tom Brady, no matter how bad he plays, always finds a way to win big games. Last week was no exception.

This is the biggest game for the Colts since they came over on the Mayflower truck in 1984. Peyton Manning got the biggest win of his career last week in Baltimore, in spite of himself. Manning has thrown one touchdown pass and 5 interceptions in the first two playoff games. The Colts’ defense, non-existent for most of the season, has come up huge in the playoffs, allowing 14 points in two games. They’ll need to do it again this Sunday at the RCA Dome.

I would love for the Colts to whip the Patriots. I like the Colts, and I’m so sick of the Patriots. I can’t pick against Tom Brady in a big game, however. He wins every big game he plays. Pick: New England.

2 comments:

Zee said...

I'm going to pick the Colts and Saints. I don't know if the Saints can pull it off, but I just don't think the Bears can do it again. Okay, this is really more who I want to win than who I think is going to win. I'll even wear my Colts shirt this weekend just for fun.

John said...

I'd love to see a Colts-Saints Super Bowl. So would Olivia Manning, Archie's wife and Peyton's mother. I can't get my hopes up, though.

Unfortunately, I can't pick against the Pats. Tom Brady is too clutch.

I'd love to be wrong.