Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Major Move




Major Applewhite was the subject of much interest on this blog a couple of days ago. He had a choice between a job with Les Miles at LSU, and with Nick Saban at Alabama. He chose a position on Saban's staff at Alabama. There was also the possibility of him getting the head coaching job at Rice, but Rice is looking in another direction at this point.

Major was raised a Crimson Tide fan, and was named after Crimson Tide great Major Ogilvie.

We could well see him return to the University of Texas before his career is over. Just think: OU head coach Josh Heupel vs. UT head coach Major Applewhite in the Red River Shootout at Jerryworld in Arlington. Could very well happen in the next couple of decades.

5 comments:

Zee said...

I still think Major got the shaft while playing at UT. I don't blame him for going with Alabama. I've been to both states and Alabama is the better choice.

John said...

Major did get the shaft at Texas. He was a darn good college quarterback. He'll be a darn good college coach, also.

LSU is on a great run, and they're nothing to sneeze at. However, tradition-wise, they're no Alabama. No group of people are more desperate for a national championship than those at Alabama.

Plus, great programs find a way to bounce back. USC did, OU did, and Alabama will.

Special thanks the guys at Tiderinsider.com, for the extra traffic Friday morning! I received over 300 hits in an 8-hour period. Good luck!

John said...

I should say special thanks to the guys at Tiderinsider.com. I left out a word there. One of their posters linked to my Rice/Major comments, and brought a bunch of traffic over.

Zee said...

300 hits, wow! Congrats.

LSU is nothing to sneeze at, you're right, and as a team they've been doing really well. I just have never been in another state that feels like a whole different country. And I've been to all but eleven states, I think.

Back in my high school days I baby sat for the Alabama coaches while they were in town for the bowl game at Aloha Stadium (who knows what it was called back then ... the Hula Bowl?). Boy, that was a long time ago.

John said...

That would have been the Aloha Bowl at Aloha Stadium.

I've been to Tuscaloosa, and I've been to Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge is ok, as far as Louisiana goes, but I would prefer Tuscaloosa, as it is a college town. The barbecue is much better in Tuscaloosa, as well.

You're right: Louisiana is like a whole other country, hurricane or no hurricane.