Monday, November 27, 2006

Super Bowl or Bust


Kicker Mike Vanderjagt was cut today from the roster of the Dallas Cowboys. Vanderjagt had struggled this season after signing a free agent contract in the off-season, making only 13 out of 18 field goals, after a record as the most accurate kicker in the league while kicking for the Indianapolis Colts. Vandy was in a season-long funk, after missing a game-tying field goal in a playoff game last season. The Colts lost that game to the Steelers, after being favored to win the Super Bowl.

This is not surprising. Bill Parcells is playing to win, and is playing to win now. The message has been sent: Super Bowl or Bust.

The Cowboys picked up ex-Buc kicker Martin Gramatica off waivers. Is the 33rd best kicker in football the answer? Parcells doesn’t trust Vanderjagt, so he had no choice.

The Cowboys have now changed quarterbacks and kickers. Is Parcells greatness, or is he just a glorified gym teacher? Time will tell.

4 comments:

Zee said...

I can't blame him for cutting NFL's equivilent of the "clubhouse cancer". Parcels is getting serioius about the playoffs, or so I thought. I understand cutting the most overrated kicker in all of football history, but Mar-teen Gramatica as the answer? I don't think so. I am glad, don't get me wrong, as I am still a card carrying memeber of the ACF, but I think they would have done much better to find a Tim Sedar type of kicker instead ... I'm just sayin'.

John said...

I'm sure Shaun Suisham is still available, also. :-)

Kicking was the difference between 9-7 and 11-5 or 12-4 last year. Big Bill is trying to keep that from happening again.

This is the farewell tour. Big Bill wants the ring to go along with it.

Zee said...

Bill ain't getting a ring. At least not a superbowl ring. The cowboys can't cut it. I'm again hoping for them to get to the playoffs and then lose in the first round. Get the fans all excited then squash their dreams. Sorry, JD, I guess I'm just a sick puppy, but I really don't like the cowboys.

Also, I'm not saying to get Tim Sedar back, although he was one cowboy I liked and the only cowboy on my fantasy football team ever, but just saying to get some cheap-o spare like him who will be grateful for the position and not poison the team. I mean they already have T.O. Owens for that. :)

John said...

The Cowboys lost their connection to cheap-o spare kickers a couple of years ago, when Big Bill fired kicking coach Steve Hoffman. Hoffman is the one that found Tim Seder, Richie Cunningham, Chris Boniol, and others. So, Big Bill is now stuck with finding eccentric veteran kickers.

At least Martin Gramatica didn't pull a hamstring celebrating a made field goal, like his brother Bill did. :-)

Your feelings about the Cowboys are about like I'm getting with the Texans, only the Texans eternally suck. I'm tired of hearing about them when they lose, and I'll probably hate them if they ever start winning. It's not like Dallas, though, where it's all Cowboys, all the time, 365 days a year.

I'm afraid Tony Romo is going to blow it in the first playoff game. I hope I'm wrong. This team has a nice little streak going, but they haven't earned a Super Bowl trip, yet.