Friday, August 11, 2006

The Fun of Preseason Football

I got a chance to watch a little bit of tonight's preseason game between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons. I tuned in after the starters had already gone to the sidelines, but CBS showed Tom Brady on the bench every time they had a chance. I think they would have hired him as a sideline reporter if they could have gotten away with it. Back to the title of the post: A lot of the fun of watching preseason games is watching guys try to live their dream and make an NFL team.

I was particularly interested in watching Patrick Cobbs. Patrick lived around the corner from my parents when he was in high school, and is, to my knowledge, the first and only graduate of Tecumseh High School to sign an NFL contract. He went undrafted, but the Patriots signed him as a free agent, after he finished his college career as the all-time leading rusher for the Mean Green of North Texas. Well, I'm sitting there watching the game, and, on his first play from scrimmage, he catches a 3-yard screen pass, and turns it into a 57 yard touchdown pass. Awesome!

I don't know if he'll make the Patriots' roster, but I hope other teams are watching. It would be really cool to have someone from Tecumseh in the NFL.

No comments: